Monday, April 14, 2008

Toons



You know? The funny thing about music is it seems to be the one singular artistic entity amongst most people that hits them in the same way. Almost everyone I've ever met can relate to that physical feeling you feel when you hear a song or even moreover a portion of a song that makes the hairs on your arms stand on end. However, it seems as though a fan's sonic tangibility to music and the idea that a they would be able to recreate this sensation for others just because they have felt it themselves is simply, sadly and for many, pathetically untrue. Why is it that so many people think they have not only the ability, but the right to call themselves musicians or songwriters. I tried, well not really, but participated in athletics throughout my early life and I have been skating and snowboarding a plethora of times since college but it's not as though I would waltz up to a snowboarder or a skateboarder and say, "hey, I'm doing what you do now, you owe it to me as a member of your craft to take me seriously." I mean come on! I am not a cocky or arrogant man by any means, but the truth is I come from a musical family, have been playing the guitar since 1992 and have been performing in front of people since that same year. At 10, I sang in front of my summer camp for the first time, the tune... Mr. Big's "To Be With You." While the selection may not have been something that I listen to constantly anymore, that summer I also sang "More Than Words" by Extreme (no better, I know), but importantly "Thorn In My Pride," by The Black Crowes which is to this day one of my soul songs and always the last song of the night I play before I shut off the music when I'm D.J.ing. I know this seems like a rant, but let me be honest, this has been me and all I've cared about since I was a little boy. I took no interest in sports, I never had girls to boost my ego during adolescence, or grades to make me at least on a good student's level like I was any better than anybody else. So, let me conclude by saying this, I love people and I love to talk to people about all kinds of things including music. As a continuous fan and connoisseur I will talk about what I'm into and who has influenced me as a musician/songwriter until the fat lady sings. But please, don't tell me about your band or your song writing or your opinion about my work because I really don't give a fuck and your words will go in through one ear and out the other. Really, I know I sound like a total dick, but seriously don't because I'd rather not hear it and I'd rather not judge you in regards to music if I don't have to. It's the only time the real asshole within me shines like a fucking quasar...... Just happened a lot this weekend, whatever, I hate you and love you all.

goodnight,

EBENEEZER

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics